For non-hunters accompanying a hunting party or for eco-tourists there is a variety of activities to keep you active and interested, both on and off our property. We also find that many hunters like to take the opportunity to see more of South Africa while they are in the country.
ON SITE ACTIVITIES 2013 SIDE TRIPS COSTS AND INFO
We offer to do these tours 1) - 10) listed below, ending about 1 pm, our costs are per vehicle ( unless stated otherwise ), for max 4 clients & includes entry fees: ALL PRICES ARE IN U.S. dollars.
1) GRAAFF-REINET $300. This is the second oldest town in SA, it is small, has old buildings, history museums, curio shops, art & craft shops, the valley of desolation and game area, where Buffalo are sometimes seen. Lunch included in cost.
2) OWL HOUSE $250. This is an art museum in the nearby village of NIEU BETHESDA which is filled with cement statues and statuettes of strange figures and animals with the whole building covered in different colored ground glass, also includes a small fossil museum & short fossil tour. Lunch not included in cost.
3) TRIP TO CRADOCK $170. This is our local small town with an English literature museum & SPA for massages etc (you pay the SPA fees directly to them). Lunch not included in cost.
4) BUSHMAN ROCK ETCHINGS $25. per-outing. These game animal etchings are on our ranch.
5) PHOTO SAFARI / GAME DRIVES – game viewing on our ranch day time or night time veiwing : $ 60 per outing. Our extensive property is scenic which, together with the abundant animal and bird life, makes for very enjoyable photography or simply sightseeing.
6) MOUNTAIN ZEBRA NATIONAL PARK $300. This is in our local CRADOCK area and many other plains game species besides Mountain Zebra can be seen here. The park is 65000 acres in size and also has Cape Buffalo & Black Rhino, but are seldom seen. Lunch included in cost.
7) WILD CATS $ 6 per person. We keep all the naturally occurring/indigenous small African cat species in captivity for our breeding and education programme. The cats are always available for guests to visit supervised by us. Our cats may be viewed, some of the tame ones may be held and they may be photographed. Any donations to this conservation project are also welcome.
Everyone knows Africa has lions, leopards and cheetahs but how many know that there are smaller feline predators as well which are currently threatened?
In order of size there are the Caracal (South African lynx), Serval, African Wild Cat and the Black-footed Cat. The Cat Conservation Trust exists to increase public awareness of the plight in which these smaller cats find themselves as well as conducting a breeding program.
The trust is on our property and makes for an interesting and different experience as you will rarely have the chance to see these felines in the wild.
Read more about the Cat Conservation Trust.
8) ADDO ELEPHANT NATIONAL PARK $ 350. This is near PE and is only done on the way from or to PE at start or end of your safari. Elephant viewing is excellent with herds up to 100 may be see. Occasionally Buffalo , Lion and numerous plains game species can be seen here. The game is wild , not tame , and SA parks are natural settings with no human interventions. This park is 85000 acres in size. Lunch included in cost.
9 ) ADDO ELEPHANT BACK SAFARI $ 250 per person payable to RHS. This is NOT in the ADDO ELEPHANT NATIONAL PARK ( Addo is the name for the region/ county) Includes: Ride on elephant ( ~ 1 hr ) , walk with elephants & feeding the elephants (~1/2 hr ), a light meal and tea, coffee and water. I will need to book a specific date for this well in advance as it is a very popular event.
10) KAROO COMFORT ZONE SPA: Cell 082 773 5083, Phone 048 8812697, Fax 048 881 3949
Email: email@example.com. Services include: Massage, acupressure (deep pressure), Aromatherapy, manicure, pedicure, facial, waxing. Pay Spa directly, Contact Spa for bookings, price, and payment. Spa excludes transport = $170 from camp to Cradock and return-transport done by Richard Holmes Safaris.
OTHER ACTIVITIES in the East Cape closer to PE
If you are interested in any of the activities below it is recommended that you spend at least two nights in PE before your safari or one-two or more nights at the end of your safari.
We can book the following trips for you. Guides are excellent and you will be picked up and returned to the hotel in well maintained and safe vehicles by the Companies listed below:
Pumba Game Reserve
Big 5 : elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, leopard, giraffe, cheetah, plains game
Day safari, 5 Star accommodation,PE transfers
Kariega Game Reserve
Big 4 : elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, giraffe, plains game. Day safari, 4 Star accommodation, PE transfers
Excellent lion, rhino, giraffe, hippo , crocodile , plains game
Schotia Tooth & Claw Safari day trip, 4 star accommodation,PE transfers
Elephant Back Safaris
Elephant ride , 4 star accommodation, PE transfers - road or air
Penguin Island Cruise, cruises, Whale Watching and Fishing charters
WITH Dr Livingstones Tours – Greg & Carol Hughes
Addo elephant Park day safari
Elephant Rides in beautiful Zuurberg mts
Kragga Kama Park (Half day) Rhino, Giraffe, Zebra, Buck, Cheetah and Birds of all kinds.
Beach TOUR, CityTOUR. P.E.s Early Boom years, diverse people and it's unique place in history.
Settlers history tour
Amakhala day safari
Schotia safaris (Day /Night tour) oldest private game reserve in the Eastern Cape. Your best chance to see lions hunting in the wild. Numerous other animals.
TSITSIKAMMA tour (Place of abundant waters.) 195 k.m. from P.E. Ancient indigenous forest of 80 tree species including the 800 year old, 37m. tall Yellow Wood. Forest tractor tour and lunch included.
GRAAFF REINET DAY TOUR. This historic town is home to 200 national monuments. Visit the Valley of Desolation with it's series of precariously balanced dolerite columns. Lunch included.
CRADOCK DAY TOUR. Visit Olive Schreiner House (author of Story of an African Farm) and two of the world's largest oak trees. Visit Tuis Huis, this consists of twenty refurbished Karoo style cottages of the early Victorian Era and much more. Lunch and entrance fees included
KAROO 2 DAYS ONE NIGHT TOUR. Visit the historical towns of Graaff Reinet and Cradock. Spend one night in the old and beautiful Drosty Hotel. All meals and accommodation included.
AFRICAN DAWN BIRD SANCTUARY AND JEFFREYS BAY. See close up a wide variety of beautiful African birds and other wild life. Visit the home of the perfect wave and enjoy beautiful beaches and shells. Lunch included.
SEAVIEW GAME AND LION PARK. Situated 25k.m. from P.E. View 40 species of wildlife including dozens of lions. You can even cuddle a cub.
A DAY IN THE COUNTRY. Van Stadens Pass, Thornhill, Hankey, Patensie and Dam. Lunch incl.
Raggy Charterboat trip. Whale and dolphin viewing in our bay. Min 3 people.
KWANTU GAME RESERVE situated in the historical town of Sidbury. Big 5 viewing, snacks, drinks, lunch, 3hr. game drive.
GARDEN ROUTE 2 Day 1 Night Tour. Bed + Breakfast, Jeffreys Bay, Cape St Francis, Tsitsikama, Big Tree, Knysna, Plett. Accommodation and entrance fees.
GARDEN ROUTE 3 Day 2 Night Tour. Bed + Breakfast, as above + Sedgefield, Wilderness, George and Oudtshoorn.
TRANSFERS to most of the above.
Gold & Diamond Jewellery to buy in their Show room and their Factory tourat RITCO (a short taxi ride from the hotel) which includes an excellent tour of the manufacturing of the jewellery.