Accommodation at Richard Holmes Safaris
While you are enjoying your South African hunting Safari with Richard Holmes Safaris you will be accommodated at Clifton Game Lodge, one of our properties.
This is fully catered accommodation with many delicious different wild game dishes.
We have a BBQ (braai) and bonfire area outside our Lodge near ancient pear trees, overlooking open flood plain where wild game graze close to you!
There are 5 en-suite bedrooms - 3 in Rondavels, 2 at the Lodge - 2 of the rooms, Rondavel room 3 and our Lodge Room are for sharing so some hunters may need to share rooms - The Lodge also has a guest lounge and spacious dining area.
RONDAVELS complex ( Rondavel means a round building usually with a thatched roof ) which has 3 bedrooms (2 double bed rooms and 1 room with 1 single bed and 1 double bed ), Lodge room has 2 single beds and 1 double all in one large room and Small Lodge room has 1 single bed.
The rooms have the following amenities : electricity , en-suite bathrooms with good showers, flush toilets / in house plumbing, toilet paper, hot and cold CLEAN running water, beds with warm blankets, bedding, towels, soap, electric heaters and full furnishings.
Dine indoors at our comfortable LODGE, where there is a braai (BBQ) and bon fire pit and view game grazing by while you relax here.
For cooling off after a day's hunting there is a swimming pool at the Rondavels.
Richard Holmes Safaris Legendary Meals
We use almost entirely wild game meat from the animals taken by our hunters for most of our dishes. Our game meat is very mild and is absolutely excellent, healthy, tender, low fat, no growth stimulants, no hormones, no antibiotics and no medication - our wild game meat is totally clean and natural.
We have numerous vegetables, starches, sauces, salads, snacks, sandwiches, burgers and desserts for balanced meals to suit all. Before hunters go out they can fill up with bacon, egg, toast, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, tea, bush tea, coffee and hot chocolate. We use our own recipes and we have given continuity in our food since 1994.
We have become known for our dishes and the quality of our recipes – just as any restaurant becomes famous for certain dishes – so we have with our food, just as you don’t go to a fish restaurant expecting a good steak. Our recipes prevent our game meat from being overcooked, over-spiced etc and bring out the natural flavour of the meat.
These are tried and tested recipes that suit the US palate – something we have learned over many years of trial and error. We are able to suit the palates of other countries also. We are not prepared to compromise with the quality of our catering. Clients often comment about certain dishes they enjoyed so much and look forward to having them again on their return stay with us!
These are the dishes, meals and food we prepare for your hunt.
Cool Boxes which go out with hunters in the truck for the day contain a variety from below:
Sandwiches : bacon and egg, salami, cheese and lettuce , egg and mayo, steaklets, sauce and lettuce, scrambled egg and bacon, cold meat and mustard, wors ( sausage) and fried onions.
Pizza, quiche, egg foo yung, chicken and mayonaise pancakes, hamburgers, wors rolls ( hot dog with wild game sausage ), chicken pieces , cake , boiled eggs , tuna and mayo pancakes , caramel pancakes, currywurst, cheese wedges, potatoes chips, chocolates, candy, pop and diet pop / sodas of variety, water, fruit juices of variuos kinds and fruit.
- Goulash, boiled potatoes, gravy, fried noodles, roast veg, 7 layer salad, ice cream with chocolate and mint sauces.
- Roast Springbuck leg, gravy, rice, roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, green salad, malva pudding and custard.
- Steaklets ( Wild Game ) with peppers and onions, gravy, mash potatoes, pumpkin, crouton salad, bread pudding and cream.
- Lasagne, garlic bread, beets, pickled onion, pineapple tart.
- Braai wors ( sausage ), pork rashers / bacon, chicken wings, chops, potato in foil, butter, chocolates.
- Roast chicken, rice, roast potatoes, sweet carrots, stuffing, tomato and onion salad, milk tart.
- Chow mein, sizzling steak, bean salad, fruit salad and cream for dessert.
- Cottage pie, beet salad, cremora tart.
- Schnitzel, mashed potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cheese sauce, lemon, green salad, crème caramel.
- Game steaks, fried potatoes, mushroom sauce, beans, green salad, granadilla pudding.