South African Hunting Safari Terms & Conditions
Terms and conditions applicable to South African hunting safaris with Richard Holmes Safaris.
- All animals are subject to availability - e.g. the effect of drought.
- All prices are subject to the year in which the safari takes place and possible changes in price.
- The day you are picked up in Port Elizabeth ( PE ) and the day you are returned to Port Elizabeth are counted as safari days and full daily rates are payable.
- Small game for mounting purposes must be shot with LOW VELOCITY small calibre or PREFERABLY with low velocity LARGER calibre firearms, eg. heavy .30 calibre rifle bullets work best.
- Skinning of certain species for mounting will cost extra, for example small mammals and birds, eg. monkey $ 30 skinning fee for a full body mount skin.
- Quills, feathers, artifacts, rocks, twigs, seeds etc. are biologically, historically and ecologically important to the environment and some are protected under South African heritage laws. There is a charge for any items which are allowed to be taken. Fossils, etchings and some other items are by law not allowed to be taken. Remember that ALL items are subject to export permits.
- Minimum safari is 5-6 days, which will be 3-4 hunting days & 4-5 nights with Richard Holmes Safaris. Most hunts only require 4 - 6 hunting days to fill your bag.
- All dipping, packing, transportation and shipping of trophies are the client’s responsibility after the safari
- No refunds are made for late arrivals or early departures.
- Trophy fees are payable at completion of safari. Wounded and/or lost animals and any animal shot incidental or not must be paid for in full.
- Daily rates include:
- PE ( Port Elizabeth ) pick and return, transportation while hunting, services of a Professional Hunter, trackers, skinners, ranch safari staff, accommodation, laundry, meals, alcohol and beverages in moderation (Some alcohol and specialty foods are subject to availability. Please inquire with special requests). Specialty foods and drinks are not included in the daily rates. ( but we will get items for you - so if you want such we need these specifics well in advance of your arrival due to our remote locaton )
- Payment ONLY with VISA or MASTERCARD credit cards.
- Not Accepted : US $, EURO or GBP Stirling traveler’s checks or cash are the least preferable method of payment.
- Foreign bank transfer fees, fees to use you credit card overseas and currency conversion fees are the client’s responsibility.
- Any animal or bird wounded and lost at the time your safari ends or shot and NOT exported from South Africa is subject to VAT , Value Added Tax of 14 % added onto the trophy/cull fee. (This is South African law). Any animal not exported out of South Africa 14 % VAT tax must be charged onto the animals fees, and onto any Trophy's fees. Exporting even just one part or some of the animals you hunt will mean no VAT tax needs to be charged.
- Meat is not included in the animal’s price. Meat may not be exported from the country of South Africa.
- Special conditions apply in respect of children, please enquire.
Please Note these links on this RHS website:
(retips and payment methods)
(very useful info on our safaris - from your safari planning stage to after your hunt)
Process to book
- A contract will be emailed for all on the safari to complete and sign, this contract must be emailed back to RHS with your payment asap, we cannot hold bookings unless both of this happens. Proof of paid for airtickets is required to lock in a booked date.
- Air Tickets must be done 10-12 months, or at least 6 months before your safari date, and sent to RICHARD HOLMES SAFARIS, or If you have booked your safari within a few months of your safari date you may still get your flights booked and come on safari booked dates.
- All package and custom hunts require HALF DOWN when booking dates and contract is signed, and the remaining balance is payable 6 months prior to the safari. If you have booked your safari within a few months of your safari date the full package price is payable on receipt of your signed contract. No moneys are refundable, but all moneys paid remain a credit on a safari for a limited period. The prices of the year in which the safari takes place are payable, credits are transferable to other hunters who take over a cancelled hunt.
Once a hunt is booked and a payment is made the hunt can be transferred to other hunters with prior approval of the outfitter. All donated hunts require a $1,000 booking fee, which will be used towards trophy fees on the safari. The booking fee is only due if specified on the donation form, to hold a date, or some firm commitment to the booked date (like paid for air tickets) is required.
In the case of a safari member’s death prior to the booked safari date, where payment has been paid to Richard Holmes Safaris, the full amount (other than a $1000 booking fee) will be refunded.
In the case of members of the safari having serious illness, hospitalization of a serious nature, or a death in the safari member’s immediate family there would be the forfeiture of a $1000 booking fee to change the safari date. If complete cancellation occurs 50% of the total safari payments made will be refunded. Proof of the circumstances must be submitted to Richard Holmes Safaris before refunds are paid. For any other cancellation reason other than death or serious illness no monies will be refunded.
Date Changes & Cancellations
No monies paid are refundable, except under the following conditions.
In the case of date changes / postponement for reasons other than death or serious illness above, 25% of the whole quoted safari cost will be added to change a booked date.
In the case of a donated hunt a $1,000 booking fee is required to book a new date. The initial booking fee will be forfeited.
Richard Holmes Safaris and their representatives are not responsible for finding alternative hunters for booked hunts.